July 31, 2007

liz


stopped using a mechanical pencil for a while, having fun with ye old plain hb pencil. great fun, good for warming up, even better after a couple of hours of drawing. still somewhat messy, though. mazzucchelli's batman: year one's probably the book i've mostly been looking at, lately. duncan fegredo also has a bit of that. toth, of course. don't get me wrong, i still love the ocd joy of peeps like frank quitely or seth fisher, but this feels more like a way to go.

yellowish scans because of the moleskine notebook...

1 comment:

Monkeyfeather said...

Fantastic sketches. You consistently create appealing, confident drawings. Very nice.

Thanks for the manga reviews as well. I have started reading MONSTER because of you and Matthew Forsythe mentioning it on his blog. I'll have to check out DEATHNOTE now as well. I'm looking forward to 20th Century Boys, too bad it won't be released until Monster has completed its publishing cycle here in North America.

I'll have to check out Homunculus, sounds interesting. I'll just need to track it down now...

In regards to the book by the BLAME! artist, Biomega I think you said it was called. I had the same problem with Blame! The art is fantastic, but the story leaves something to be desired. I found that book when I visited Tokyo back in 1999 and was really intrigued by the book. I think I got about 6 volumes of it in Japanese. In the begining there was little dialogue so it was easy to understand what was going on, but later in the series, more dialogue meant I was missing more of the story. Funny thing is, now that the story is published in English, I lost track of what was going on in the stoy right around the same place. Now I don't really know what's going on.

I'm blabbering now so I'll stop.

Great drawings and thanks for the recommendations.